Sunday 12 July 2015

The Adventures of Ook and Gluk Kung Fu Cavemen from the Future



By: Geroge Beard and Harold Hutchins
The Adventures of Ook and Gluck, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future
Image from Dav Pilkey's Website: www.pilkey.com

I had a lot of fun reading this book with my son who is going into Grade 2. George and Harold, the main characters from Captain Underpants, put a lot of time, thought and effort into their comic book. It is funny and has an action-packed story line. Any kids who like Captain Underpants will like this book as well.

The most important thing I learned is that "His name not Glook, it 'Gluk'. It ryme with 'duck'" (15) and "His name not Uck, it 'Ook.' Ryme with 'Duke'" (17). I spent most of the rest of the book trying to remember how to say their names right! I will need to make myself a sign so I will remember in September too!


Parent Point: If you are familiar with the comic sections in Captain Underpants you know that they are full of phonetic spelling.  The whole book is a comic and does not contain the more traditional chapter book pages that Captain Underpants includes. If you find the phonetic spelling a challenge you will not enjoy this book. Also, there is some mild language that some parents might find objectionable.


No comments:

Post a Comment